Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Emotional Break


Opposition is not necessarily enmity; it is merely misused and made an occasion for enmity.
~Sigmund Freud

So for the past few days we were off from school for Fall Break. I really wasn't looking forward to going home for the fact that my mother isn't very understanding about my sexual orientation. One way that I escape my house and my mother is by going to work so I had already been put on the schedule for the few days that I would be there. Going home also meant another thing this particular week, it was as the first time that Blake and I were away from each other for an extended amount of time. If you don't remember Blake and I are from the same town and we also go to Wilmington together. Even though we do live in the same town there is one thing in the way of us spending time together and her name is Mawan. I don't know what it is about all of these crazy mothers. I had always heard that the father was always the one who always against their son being gay but apparently there is something in the water in Goldsboro because it is the complete opposite in our case. Anyhow... to make a long story short, I did what I do best and got all emotional. I just hit me that I would probably never be able to be a part of Blake's family. Never be invited to Thanksgiving Dinner or Christmas Day and that in my mind was hard to chew. I had told a few of my friends and they understood what I was saying but I didn't tell Blake right away, I didn't want to do all of this on the phone. We had a date planned for Monday night so that was when I was going to spill my guts to him. We went to a movie and then took Starbucks to the park. I told him everything that was on my mind and he was so amazing. I have basically found out that I want to marry this boy. He comforted me and also cleared my mind which is a really hard thing to do sometimes. He told me that it didn't matter what his mother or anyone else thought and as long as we had each other we would be fine. He did say that this year probably wouldn't be the best for me to show up for the holidays, but we shall see what happens. Here is my final thought, being gay brings a ton of baggage. If it is family members that are against you or a random woman who calls your manager to complain that one of her workers was kissing his boyfriend in the store (yes, that also happened to me this past weekend but that is another story), there will always be opposition. I know we all go through opposition and as long as we have someone to love and help us in those hard times, we will all be okay.

I love you Blake and thank you for being there when I really need you. I can't wait for the times to come and I know that I can overcome anything as long as we have each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment