Monday, November 2, 2009

Verbiage

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”
Over the last couple of days I have been paying special attention the the words I use and the way I use them. I am a person who doesn't use a very "formal" type of language I speak some slang and some words that only my friends understand. My informal language also spills over in my writing. No, I don't use slang and other can understand my writing besides my friends but I write just like I talk. I have never really understood when people write so formally. We write to express our thoughts on a matter or a subject so shouldn't we use our normal language to express our thoughts? I have had some teachers who love the way I write and other totally hate it but for me it works.
One thing that I have thought about while I was examining my words is that I really want to put my thoughts and opinions into action. It is one thing to say something but until you put those saying into actions they are nothing but letters and phrases. One of my goals is to help people in anyway I possibly can. The other day a friend of mine asked me if she could vent to me. It took me off guard, not that she wanted to vent but that she wanted to do it with me. We aren't like best friends, we sit together in one of our classes but other than that we are complete strangers. It made me feel good that she knew she could talk to me and I would listen and help as best as I could. That lets me know that the words I say and the actions that go along with them are working for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment